Have you ever thought about chucking your job or career? Is 2018 your year?! I’ve been there – I jumped off the career cliff in 2002 and have been happily following my passion in the form of a career ever since.
You Too Can Wake Up Excited About Your Day!
Do you dread going into work? Do you watch the clock? The hands seem to tick by slower and slower every day. Or, are you frustrated because you work very hard to get the job done and yet you seem to go nowhere?
I practiced tax law for eleven very long years and then jumped off the career cliff – I quit with no plan. While I don’t recommend this strategy for everyone, it does have its perks. I took the time to figure out what I was (and still am) passionate about and what would be a good fit for my skills. Part of this process involved becoming Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (“MBTI” or “Type”) certified and then an MBTI Master Practitioner. I needed to know what was wrong with me that I didn’t love being a tax lawyer. I needed to know why I felt like a square peg in a round hole. Type answered that question powerfully for me: there was nothing wrong with me, tax law just wasn’t a fit.
And guess what, not only did I stop feeling like a failure, but I made a career doing what I love most: helping others to create fulfilling careers and personal lives for themselves. As you might guess, I am passionate about everyone finding a career that’s a fit. I learned the hard way that life’s too short to suffer with a job or career that isn’t fulfilling.
Here’s How You Can Find Your Career Calling!
- Remember, You Don’t Have to Jump Off a Cliff! It doesn’t have to be scary; you can work with a career coach to ensure that you are making choices that will result in a fulfilling career while ensuring that practical considerations, like paying the mortgage, are taken into account.
- Have a Process: Your coach can provide the structure and process for you to collect data of yourself. You want to treat choosing your next career like any other problem:
- Search out and consider data about yourself;
- Generate career options;
- Analyze your options logically and practically; and
- Determine which option inspires you most.
- Know Yourself: This is where using a tool such as MBTI so that you have objective criteria with which to evaluate your strengths and blind spots is quite helpful. You’ll also want to take an inventory of your skills, focusing on the ones you enjoy using. For WGR’s program on Type, click here. I promise it’ll help you evaluate career options even though it’s focused on working with different personality types.
- Network: Your process will most likely include networking and discussing prospective career paths and jobs with friends and colleagues. Your friends often have a clearer sense of your strengths than you do.
- Create Your Professional Talking Points: Whether you want to secure a promotion, find a new job, or make a career jump, you’ll need to be able to discuss your strengths and skills confidently and memorably. WGR offers a program to help you do just that: Step Into Power: Create Your Personal Brand. For more information about how to create your personal brand, click here.
- Interview Like A Rock Star: A coach can also help you amp up your interviewing skills. The keys are to be confident, prepared, and yourself. For more tips about interviewing, read Interview Like a Rock Star. And don’t forget, WGR’s Create Your Personal Brand can help you prepare.
And, if you’d like help in making the most of your current position or finding a totally new career path, let’s talk! You can reach me at email@example.com or 202-449-9751. If you’re in the DC area and would like help in developing your career – in Stepping Into Your Power, join me and your WGR friends on:
- February 2 for a Professional Branding Course;
- February 16 for Working with Different Personality Types; and
- March 9 for Tactical Leadership Skills.
and don’t worry, men are welcome too! Register here.
If you find this useful, please share with your colleagues and friends and let us know what you’ve done to uplevel your career!